Our organizations were developed to address gaps in culturally competent services for the growing Latino population. The structure of the Consortium of Hispanic Agencies (CHA) was formalized in 2010 after the Latino-led agency members were able to leverage funding from the Skillman foundation to strengthen the capacity and implementation of this long-held dream, this creating the pipelines for the community sustainability.
Collaborated with Wayne State University, Chicano Boricua Studies to develop a strategic plan for a Detroit Latino Agenda, developing call to action subcommittees to advocate on issues of: Culture, Arts & Media; Education; Social and Community Issues; Economic and Community Development; Health; Labor and Employment; Political Empowerment; and Finance
Worked with the Mayor’s Office to address community concerns and advocate for Latino representation in Departments and commissions
Held series of meetings with Governor Granholm and several Directors of State Departments including MLEG/Adult Education, MDCH, MDOC, and the State Superintendent to discuss issues facing the Latino community
Worked as a collaboration of agencies to garner and leverage foundation funding to implement into action the structure of the Consortium of Hispanic Agencies
- Strengthen both the individual partner organizations as well as the collaborative infrastructure of the Consortium.
- Expand the collective impact in the Southwest Detroit community and empower the community to advocate for its people.
- Effective improvements in the social-economic environmental conditions though the development of strategic plan focused on an updated “Latino Agenda”
- Create and advocate for new, or modified existing, public policies and systems affecting youth and families in order to be more responsive to the needs of the Latino population in Southwest Detroit as well as the broader community statewide.
- The Community Health and Social Services (CHASS)...Go to site
- DHDC’s mission is to make a difference...Go to site
- Latin Americans for Social and Economic Development,...Go to site
- Latino Family Services (LFS) The primary goal...Go to site
- MANA de Metro Detroit Its mission is...Go to site
- SER Metro-Detroi Jobs for Progress , Inc....Go to site